The Warning Signs of Gum Disease
As the number one cause of tooth loss in adults, roughly half of the adult population suffers from periodontal (gum) disease. And while gum disease is undeniably a very common condition, it should never be ignored - especially before the irreversible damage comes into play.
There are two stages to periodontal disease:
- This is the early stage of gum disease, which is reversible when proper changes are made to an oral care routine. Common that indicate gingivitis include:
- Gums that bleed with brushing or flossing
- Gums that appear inflamed or red in colour
- Gums recession
- Bad breath
- This is the final stage of gum disease and is irreversible. Common that indicate periodontitis include:
- Swollen, tender gums
- Gums that are bright red or purple in colour
- Pus formation between the teeth and gums
- Significantly receded gums causing spacing between the teeth
- Persistent bad breath
- A foul taste in the mouth
- Teeth that are loose
What Can I Do About It?
If you're experiencing any of the signs above (bleeding gums with flossing tends to be a very common symptom among early sufferers), speak to your dentist today about ways that you can prevent any further damage from occurring. If the symptoms you're experiencing are severe, plan to see the dentist as soon as possible. Or, book an appointment with our Hamilton dentist today to discuss your options.
You might be due for a professional cleaning with the hygienist to bring the condition of your smile back to its healthy state. Plaque and tartar build-up are notorious for causing problems! You'll most likely also need to start making changes to your oral care routine, which should include brushing for at least two minutes twice a day, and flossing at least once a day.
Protect Your Gums and Teeth For Life
Don't let gum disease take its toll on your oral health. By making the right changes today, you can prevent your condition from worsening and ensure a healthy mouth that you (and your body) deserve.
Follow us on social media
Look out for our new special offers and discounts across our social platforms!