Manual vs. Electric Toothbrush
Who will in this showdown?
You might be wondering... should I be using a manual toothbrush or an electric one? Which one is going to give me better oral health?!
Well, the truth is, anyone can maintain a great oral hygiene routine as long as they're using their brush correctly. But for the sake of this article, let us break down the PROs and CONs of each toothbrush type:
- Very effective when proper technique is used
- Less expensive
- More choice when it comes to design and colour
- No charging/batteries required
- Easy to clean the tongue with
- More labor involved
- No built-in timer option
- Some studies have proven electric toothbrushes to be more effective at removing plaque
- Less labor required; spinning brush does most of the work for you
- Lots of choice when it comes to brush head selection
- "Fun" to use, especially for children
- Built-in timer in many varieties useful
- Great for people who aren't confident in their brushing technique
- More expensive
- Requires charging/batteries
Well, there you have it! When it comes down to choosing a manual or electric toothbrush for daily oral care, it really all comes down to preference. But if you're not so confident in your brushing technique and would rather your toothbrush do all of the motions for you, then an electric toothbrush may be the best choice for you and your smile. On the other hand, if you prefer more control and choice when it comes to your toothbrush – you might appreciate sticking with a trusty & traditional toothbrush.
Our Hamilton dentist sees all kinds of patients with different toothbrush preferences... what's yours? Feel free to let us know which kind of toothbrush you like to use, and why!
Follow us on social media
Look out for our new special offers and discounts across our social platforms!